War Memorial:

Tabernacle:


Pulpit:

   
 

     Francis Cardinal Spellman founded Our Victory Church at Pine and William Streets in the financial district of Manhattan, in 1944. It is known as the War Memorial Church, and at the front door, there is a quotation from Cardinal Spellman:

     “This Holy Shine is dedicated to Our Lady of Victory in Thanksgiving for Victory won by our Valiant dead,
our soldier’s blood, our Country’s tears, shed to defend men’s rights and win back men’s hearts to God”

     The parish occupied temporary quarters at 23 William Street, until the present church was constructed and dedicated by Cardinal Spellman on June 23,1947. Major Edward Bowes donated this property to Cardinal Spellman. In August 1997, the church celebrated 50 years of service and commitment to the passionate words of St. Paul “to nurture a strong, steadfast, and generous faith in the men and women who worship here, a faith which is unafraid to reach out to those in need, limitless in compassion, hardy in service and full of joy.

     A visitor to the Wall Street area, the financial capital of the world, will be impressed and pleased to see such a great throng of men and women coming to Our Lady of Victory Church. Those coming to church know God has blessed them, and come to say, “Thank You”. They know that God loves them, and they come to adore Him, to thank Him for His many blessings, to beg forgiveness for their past sins, and to implore His help in their daily struggles.

     Many also come to the church during the day to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Confessions are heard every day for three hours. On a Holyday of Obligation, 21 Masses are offered, and on Ash Wednesday, an estimated 22,000 receive their ashes, lining up often around the block. Many come daily to our church between 1:30 and 5:00pm during the Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament to adore their Lord. In addition, lecture series on Sacred Scripture are held throughout the year.

     Our Lady of Victory has special devotion to our Blessed Mother, with public recitation of the rosary held twice daily. Every hour, on the hour, church bells ring throughout the heart of the financial district, a reminder of Gods love and call to grace. Our Lady of Victory is a Parish committed to make a difference, committed to helping us become missionaries in our daily lives - missionaries in the office and at home, in this bruised but beautiful city, this city so full of potential. In our church a special shrine is dedicated to Saints of New York many people come for worship and ask for help.

     September 11, 2001 touched members of Our Community and Church and many people are missing and dead. We pray for them and for their families. We always welcome all to visit our community to worship and pray with us.

back to the top>

 

 
 

© 2006     Our Lady of Victory Church     Archdiocese of New York